Thursday, March 03, 2005

Port - ability

Trip to Shreveport again today. I wish I had a friend that lived there. Then I could just stay there for a few days when I have all these things scheduled.

Today they "accessed the port." I feel like a cyborg. I have this thing embedded under my skin so they can attach hoses to it to draw blood and administer the chemo, etc. Wouldn't it be cool if I could plug my laptop into it? Be one with the borg. Hmm, I guess not.

I have to say, having the port is a million times better than being stuck three times to draw blood. I also had a bone scan which calls for contrast - again administered through the port. Painless, that's what we like.

I saw Dr. D. and besides the bone scan he had results for all the tests, PET, CTs, MUGA, brain scan. Finally an answer to the question everyone has been wondering - yes they found I had a brain. Sorry to disappoint those of you who bet against it, but there you are.

There was no cancer in any organs, just the breast lympth nodes and the neck node. We're still at Stage IIIC. Dr. D. thinks the bone scan will be fine also, because most likely anything would have shown up on the PET scan, but we do the bone scan anyway just to be sure.

Okay treatment will begin Monday. A&C followed by T. What? These letters stand for types of chemo that he said too fast for us to record in our notes, but I got that the first four treatments (one every three weeks) are a combination of A and C (whatever they are) and the last four treatments are T, which I think stands for Tamoxiphen or some such, but don't quote me. He gave us prescriptions for three anti-nausea meds that you take at precise times and/or days for the duration of the treatment.

I don't think I'll say what the god-awful side affects could be that he went over besides tiredness and nausea that you already know about. It will ruin the surprise when it happens. Or maybe it won't happen unless I talk about it and set the mojo free. In any case, mums the word. Some things are better left unsaid.

There is valet (sp?) parking at the Cancer Treatment Center (I always think of these words with capital letters). I think Luke is establishing a real rapport with Londell, the valet. It's good to make new friends whenever possible.

I feel good. I feel strong and healthy. I just can't imagine what they say is coming.

Things I have to do: 1.) Get a haircut. Really short so when it falls out it won't be a big wad of hair in my hand. 2.) Get fitted for a wig. Doc says it'll start falling out sometime between the first two treatments. 3.) Fill prescriptions. 4.) Clean the house really good.

The good thing that happened today: Actually two good things happened: 1.) we found a Semolina's in Shreveport. 2.) Walmart has new carts so I managed to run through the store without leaning to one side or bouncing the cart to compensate for a flat wheel.

Things I want to do: See the Grand Canyon.

No comments: