Friday, March 25, 2005

My photos

I hope you've followed Luke's link to the haircut photos. Those of you who know me are wondering about now how I could let him take those pictures. As you know, I'm one of those people who hide from the camera. As a teenager and young adult I was petite and thin. As I got older and remarried I grew outward and so hate to see pictures of myself. Photos always surprise and mortify me because I don't look as big to myself in the mirror (or in my mind) as I do in photos. Having said that, then why all these pictures? I'll tell you.

I have to face this thing dead on. I have to look right at every aspect of it no matter how unflattering and say, so what? As I grew heavier I remained proud of my thick, healthy, wavy/curly hair. You can see from the pictures, even though it was short, there was a lot to come off because it's so thick. Now it's gone. And I've been told there's no telling what will grow back. It could be a different color or texture or anything. And I say, so what?

I'm not suggesting this is easy. Having Jeremy and Luke give me a buzz cut was my way of taking a little control. There's so little you can control with cancer. And it gave us a chance to laugh and make fun of the whole thing together.

It's painful to look in the mirror and see dark stuble on a big round head. But it is what it is. Life is change and this is the journey my family and I have to take. Documenting it in words and photos is our way of saying #*@% Cancer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A 100% RIGHT ... #@%& CANCER!

lukejazz said...

Yea! #@%& CANCER! Cancer sucks.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you feel bad, sorry U R ill,
I don't know you, can't wait until
I hear you're better, rarin' to go
You're not alone,in this, U know!
For God is bigger than any lump,
He's more than able to make it jump
He's by your side, hope you can feel--------
'CAUSE BY HIS STRIPES, WE ARE
H E A L E D.
Isaaih 53:5 God bless you!

Anonymous said...

yea, #@%&## cancer
Sorry I come on the scene so late
With the passing of Marie's daddy
we have been distracted
I wish you the best of luck
We will try to see you soon
This (blog) is impressive, you have been busy. The best to you Luke and Jeremy. I,ll talk to you soon

LARRY