Friday, March 04, 2005

Pharmacology

I went back to work today. Feels like I've been gone forever, but I've only missed 5 workdays. It was a good and productive day. Right up until I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions for nausea defense.

One of them, the one that has to be taken in the morning before I go for the chemo, is so expensive they don't keep it at the pharmacy and they have to order it. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal as they can get it the next day. But today is Friday and they won't get it till Monday. Monday, I'll be in Shreveport having the chemo. I could feel myself getting hysterical inside.

"What can I do? I need it Monday morning." Geez, I thought I was handling this better, but I just heard the pitch in my voice go up. I'm practically tone-deaf so it must be really obvious to everyone in the drugstore.

The pharmacist started calling around to all the other pharmacies, but no one stocks it. All the pharmacists (there are 3 others) and clerks are listening to our conversation (not to mention the other patrons) and trying to come up with solutions. Maybe in Shreveport. No they won't have it till Monday and won't open till 9. Chemo is at 9. I'm panicking inside, but trying to appear calm outside. It's one thing to panic, but you must never let other people know it. Just my philosophy. You may choose to make it perfectly clear to others that you are panicking.

Just then an older man comes in. Totally oblivious to what is going on with me, he gives the girl his Rx and says, "You know what I love about this place? You always have everything I need, no matter what my prescription!"

Nolton, pharmacist and proprietor, can't help himself and laughs. "Don't tell Mrs. B. that. Apparently she has found the one thing we don't stock."

I had to laugh too and the tension was broken. Everyone visibly relaxed.

They found a pharmacy in Many (pronounce Man-ee) that could get it tomorrow so it looks like another trip. Many is about a 50 minute drive west on hwy 6. At least we'll have different scenery for the drive. A nice change from I-49.

The good thing that happened today: Fried catfish at Sea & Sirloin. I'm trying to enjoy food now, since I expect not to want to eat anything later.

No comments: