Monday, July 11, 2005

Taxotere -number six

I went in for the taxotere treatment not knowing what to expect this time. But I was determined (as I am with every treatment) that I would be the one to have no side effects and to take the chemo with a smile, ever strong and unflappable. Okay, so my record hasn’t been perfect, but it was a new day and a new chemo and I had caused enough trouble already.

The onc apologized again for our miscommunication problem. My blood levels were better than they have been, but not good enough to stop the aranasp shots. Then he did the breast exam and, as I have already mentioned, he found no lumps. Except the ones that were supposed to be there, hehe.

The treatment itself was pretty easy. They gave me benedryl in the drip first thing and I was so cool I fell asleep immediately. They started the taxotere while I slept and I woke up with only about ten minutes left to go. Instead of the dignified and witty image I sought to portray, I was groggy and confused. I thought they had just started the taxotere, but really it was all over.

The rest of the day, except for the sleepiness, I felt fine. No queasiness or anything. But on the third day...

It was the same as with the taxol: My feet, which had started to feel better with the neurontin, where numb again. And I had sharp pains everywhere. The pain didn't seem as bad as before, though. I’m not sure if that’s because it really wasn’t as bad, or because I wasn’t taken by surprise like the last time or because I already had the hydrocodone ready.

After a few days though, I was once again sick and tired of being in zombie-land on the hydrocodone. I kept trying to make it without it, but by evening I had to take the painkillers. Then I started having pain around the port and down my left arm and around my left collarbone.

I called the cancer center to ask if all this was normal stuff and make sure I was taking the neurontin correctly since he increased my dosage. The nurse focused right in on the pain around the port and said I had to come in.

Didn’t mean for this to be a cliffhanger, but suddenly I’m tired. And that doc visit changed everything, so it’s a story unto itself. I’ll try to finish the story tomorrow after work. Tune in next time for the continuing saga.

No comments: