Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Long Story Short

I know I said I'd finish the story, but I just don't feel like it. So instead of telling the whole story, I'll cut to the chase. At the onc visit we decided the benefits of the chemo weren't worth the side effects. We decided to stop the chemo treatments now and not do the final two. Trust me on this one, there's no way this onc would suggest we stop here if he didn't really think my reaction to the chemo was extreme. I'm so relieved he suggested it (and I didn't have to), because I was beginning to feel like there was no way I was getting out of this short of being crippled. But I think the neurontin is helping. I still can't stay on my feet for long, but it does seem to be improving a little every day.

I go to the surgeon on Monday to decide what we do from here. By this I mean how extensive the surgery will be.

Oh yea, btw, the onc sent me to ultrasound to be sure I didn't have a blood clot (I don't) causing the pain around the port. Still don't know why I'm having pain around the port.

And have I mentioned that I have white fuzz growing all over my head? It feels kind of cool. And I can feel the wind blow through the fuzz on my neck. On the other hand, I also have it growing along my jawline, like I'm some kind of simian creature. My friends insist you can't notice it unless the light hits it just right. And other post-chemo patients have assured me that it does go away.

The good thing that happened today: My niece, April, had her second baby. This one's a girl. And if that wasn't good enough, April happens to be my godchild. And if that wasn't good enough, she had the baby here in Natchtitoches, (because she doesn't live too terribly far away) so I'm able to see her and visit her and the baby.

No comments: