Monday, June 06, 2005

Mastectomy

The thought of a mastectomy is very disturbing to me. I can't fathom having a part of my body removed. And I can't help being suspiscious of a medical community that has historically treated women with considerable less dignity than men. I've never heard of reports of doctors encouraging men to have parts of their bodies removed if not absolutely medically necessary, yet this sort of thing happens to women. We all know women who have had things like routine C-sections and hysterectomies for reasons that don't make much sense. Is it any wonder that I buck at the suggestion of a mastectomy by a doctor who seems to have made up his mind, but is reluctant to discuss it with me? Of course, I know it is up to me whether we follow that course or not, but how do I make an informed decision when I don't trust the doctor? Perhaps something will change before the end of chemo and this line of thought will be moot, but until then I'm trying to hash it out and prepare myself for the worst.

The surprising thing to me in all this is many women's reaction when I tell them I don't want a mastectomy. They can't understand why this would be a problem for me. They invariably say, "Don't you want to live?" Which brings up the question, just how far would you go to live? What price will you pay? Mutilation? Kidney failure and thus life on dialysis? Alive, but feeling sick all the time, so that your life sucks? Life is only worth living if you can enjoy it. Of course, losing a breast wouldn't make life unbearable, but it would alter your life in a way that you shouldn't take lightly. The doc doesn't seem to think it's reasonable to want to know if there are other options, because TO HIM it's the best option. Some of my women friends have said they would have a mastectomy even if the doc told them a lumpectomy would do the job. They say, no one will be able to tell. You'll wear a prosthesis or have reconstructive surgery. But the point for me is not whether other people can tell. The point is I will have to look at myself in the mirror every day and my body will no longer look or feel like me. Perhaps I am a more tactile person, but this will change my life for me.

I went online and found pictures of women who had mastectomies. Some had reconstructions (there are different types) and others did not. The pictures were meant to reassure women facing this decision. My response to them was total emotional horror. They were terribly scarred. The reconstructions looked worse than the ones without. The women talked about how they had no feeling in their new breasts, which were just dead (tactilely) nipple-less lumps of flesh that didn't even come close to matching the other breast. How can someone not understand how disturbing this is for me?

Someone told me that someone told them that when they had their mastectomy the flesh inside the breast was removed, but the outer layer of skin and nipple were left intact so that she had implants (like a normal breast enlargement procedure) and looked fine. Of course, this is hearsay. If this is what can be done, it wouldn't be so bad, except you still would lose feeling. The only problem is my pitiful research has not born it out and again I get no reassurance from the doctor. I know the surgeon (who will do whatever is to be done) will tell me what my options are when the time comes. And I know at this point it's fruitless to worry about. But how can I help it when my mind brings it back to me?

No comments: