Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Pain Killers

I've been in a haze of painkillers since Friday. Big plans to write all about what I'm thinking about while I go through this poisonous journey. No use. Can't think when you're falling asleep from the hydrocodone. I tried to go to work yesterday and not take the pill, but after a couple hours I couldn't stand it anymore and took one. I'm also having numbness in my feet. Numbness sounds like something painless, but it's not. It's like when you sit on your feet too long. Not pins and needles, but swollen balloon pain. I'm walking like an old person with athritis in her feet. Like I'm trying not to step on my feet.

I called the doc (as instructed, "Don't wait until you've had numbness for two weeks, let me know early so maybe I can do something!"). His nurse, Mary, cold as ever, said, "Oh, nothing we can do so just tell him when you see him." A week from now. NO! I had to insist that she tell him and that he instructed me to tell him immediately. Reluctantly she agreed to pass the message on to him. Anyway, now I have another pill to take. Neurontin. I took it last night, after checking with my nephrologist (warning: tell your doctor if you have kidney disease) and getting an okay. I do feel better this morning. Not so much pain. It just feels like aches from too much exercise. And my feet, which I could hardly walk on, feel more like feet, though still some tingling numbness.

I'm going to try again today to work and not take the hydrocodone. I'm just taking some acetemetaphen.

This taxol is a totally different experience from the other chemo. No dizziness or queasiness. No aversion to different foods. No bad taste in my mouth. No flu-like symptoms. Just pain like I've been beaten in my sleep.

The day is just beginning so I don't have a good thing that happened today, unless you count a noticeable lessening of pain in my legs.

No comments: