Monday, August 22, 2005

What I Did On My Days Off

I've been home and off work for two weeks now and haven't managed to do anything that I thought I might. At first, of course, the problem was energy and pain. Too little of one and too much of the other. The pain meds did take care of the pain, but they render you too sleepy to do much. I was proud to do some laundry and wash dishes. Two days of trips to doctors and another day at the local hospital for blood work and the biweekly shot also suck up the days. Everything takes more time and energy than it should.

Here’s what I imagined myself doing on my time off: refinishing or painting furniture, sewing dresses for my nieces’ little girls, making mosaic tabletops, pottery, decoupage, designing an awesome backyard garden, writing, writing, writing…

I love doing creative things with my hands. I love the feeling of being lost in the project. You get fully immersed in what you’re doing. Like a spiritual experience. When you finish it’s like a release. And each time you look at it you get a little of that feeling back.

But now that I have a little energy, instead of doing those things I feel I need to get things in order and purge things I’ve been carrying around for years. I started with one box and then decided to tackle the files as we have stuff that’s at least ten years old in there. (Tell me, why do we keep pay stubs?) This file purging is turning out to be more than one day’s project!

Naturally I’m blogging rather than getting back in that room with my stacks; save, throw away, refile the misfiled papers, shred, don’t know what to do with.

I think I’d better go.

No comments: