Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Countdown to Phase Two

I'm calling the lumpectomy and everything involved with it "Phase Two." Chemo was Phase One and the radiation treatment will be Phase Three.

I thought it would be a calm week leading up to the surgery. A time to contemplate my life and be introspective while waiting for the beginning of Phase Two. Yea, right! Would you believe I've had to go to the doctor or run to Shreveport everyday this week? Will it never end? (I think this is becoming my mantra.)

I'm going to the doctor, my PCP, in town because my legs are swelling and I'm retaining water. I'm taking something for it and I'm hoping it goes away by today or she's going to call the surgeon and tell on me.

And I've been working trying to get things in order for the poor souls that may have to handle some things while I'm out. I'll be out of work at least two weeks.
I planned to call a few people this week but have been exhausted by the time I get home. Maybe today.

I guess Phase Two has actually begun because I've seen the surgeon, had a mammogram and set the date. Yesterday I went to Shreveport for pretests. I think I passed. They took urine to do a pregnancy test (they never believe you know you're not preggers). They took blood, did an EKG and a chest X-ray. It took forever to give the nurse the info about medicines and health history (that one's getting ridiculous). The poor woman kept saying, "Oh no! You poor thing!"

Then she said, "Your parents must be frantic." I had to tell her they were both deceased. And she said, "Dawn, no! When did that happen?"

"I was 16 when my mom passed (kidneys) and 24 when my dad went (heart)."

"No, no, no!" Then she asked if I had any siblings. At this point I started laughing and told her about my family and Chrissy. I had to explain to her that I wasn't heartless and I grieve for everyone but it just seemed so ridiculous that each question she asked led to another tragic answer.

Then she asked if my hair was growing back and could she see it. So I took off my hat and showed her my baby orangutang look. She said, "Awww." She was sweet and laughed at my stupid jokes. The whole time she was asking questions she was typing. She even asked how my husband was handling all this and if he was alright. I don't know why the computer needed this info, but she put it all in there.

The good thing that happened: I bought new shoes!

Places I want to go: Devil's Island, Lake Superior at Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Wisconsin

No comments: