Thursday, February 24, 2005

Thursday

We’re about to leave for Shreveport to see the docs. Somebody stop this ride, I want to get off.

Later...We met Dr. Dasgupta, the oncologist. The Cancer Treatment Center at Schumpert was on the ball. If nothing else it inspires confidence. Not like going to NPH. Dr. Dasgupta explained how they determine the extent of the cancer and all the factors involved and I’m going to have to research this and absorb it much slower because it all made sense as he explained it and it all promptly disappeared from my brain after we left. The only thing remaining is this: in addition to the lump I could feel, there is cancer in the lymph nodes under my armpit and of course the one in my neck. We are at Stage IIIC. Not good.

We’re looking at one treatment of chemo every three weeks for four treatments then repeat with a different type of chemo. Expect to lose my hair after the second treatment or so.

Dr. Marler says we’ll do a lumpectomy after the eight treatments have shrunk the breast tumors. The one in my neck is a problem. We are hoping it shrinks because they can’t remove it with surgery.

Things I'm thankful for: Living in Natchitoches. So many people have expressed concern and asked how they could help.

No comments: