Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Ordinary days

Last week was like ordinary life. I felt good. I wasn't tired. I worked a whole 40 hours. I went out to lunch with friends. Over the weekend I cooked and did laundry. I cleaned up and weeded the flower bed and planted flowers. Then we had a storm that battered the new plants. I hope they recover.

What I didn't do was any writing or blogging. As much as I enjoy sharing deep thoughts, (not to mention being in love with my own words and ideas) after all day in front of a computer at work, I couldn't bring myself to open my computer at home. And the weather was so perfect Saturday and Sunday I just had to take advantage of it. But I was happy to have an uneventful week.

Uneventful, except that Jeremy was confirmed. I had plenty of deep thoughts that night, but I think I'll keep them to myself. In my older age I'm starting to learn some self-restraint when it comes to sharing everything I think about.

Expressed concern from family and friends and perhaps a moment of common sense has led me to change my work hours for the duration of treatment. I'm going back to eight hour days, five day weeks. I'm going to miss my Mondays off, but ten hours/day was too much some weeks.

Yesterday I got a call from the surgeon's office. He wanted to see me before the port surgery. He just could not believe the dang thing had turned around. Of course, he knew it had, because he'd seen the CT scans. Perhaps you heard about the storms and flooding in Shreveport yesterday, the traffic fatalities. The good thing that happened yesterday (for me) was that the clouds blew away and everything dried up before I had to drive up there.

Anyway, the doc turned the port around. Just squeezing it through my skin he moved it around and flipped it over. Yes, OUCH! But worth it. It looks like no surgery today. Unless it flipped again while I slept, but I don't think so. It's protruding from my chest once again. I can really feel the difference. I have an appointment with the oncologist today and will have blood drawn from the port. We'll know for sure then.

Here's a happy thing: I still haven't lost my eyebrows or eyelashes. Woohoo! Being bald isn't so bad. The hats are comfortable and, still having eyebrows and eyelashes, I don't look sick. Also if I get hot at home I just take off my hat and instantly cool off. Unfortunately, the hair on my legs is still growing. No shaving my legs was supposed to be a good consequence of chemo!

Another happy thing: I can't feel the lump in my neck anymore! That doesn't mean it's gone, but it does mean it's smaller which is what this chemo is all about. The one in my breast is also changing and is harder to find. Everyone clap your hands and say yippee!

Now I'm off to see the cancer doc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey babe-
Ordinary days are just what this is all about. Who needs the extra excitement? Glad the voices of reason are getting your attention...Also know that some of us are a little self absorbed, but keep you close to our hearts...
Mush love coming to you from California
cb