Saturday, April 30, 2005

Blood

Went to the doc on Thursday. The good news is my potassium was much better. The bad news is I was WAY anemic. The doc said I was blending in with the walls which were this yellowish-beigeish off-white color. What I had expected to be a 30 minute doctor visit turned into an all day thing because I had to have a blood transfusion. Yes sir, yes sir, two bags full. He said I'd feel like a million bucks afterward. Sadly, I fell a little short of a million, but that may be because I also had the aranasp shot which makes me ache. It did take care of the heart palpitations and shortness of breath though. I guess it wasn't love after all.

Now that most of the effects of the shot have worn off I do feel a lot better and more energetic. And the headache is gone. Woohoo.

Hopefully my sense of humor will improve too. While talking to the nurse who was giving me blood I made some lame joke about needing blood due to a nocturnal visit from a vampire. (Pathetic). She gave me that polite smile we give people who tell awful jokes that aren't funny, but we don't want to hurt their feelings. You know, half a smile, raise the eyebrows, nod the head slightly, utter, "Ah." I felt compelled to apologize. I told her I was weak and tired and had a tremendous headache and I promised to be wittier when I felt better. Without missing a beat, she patted my arm and said, "I'm sure you will be."

It really did take all day. They offered me a room with a bed so I wouldn't have to sit in the chemo chair for long hours on end, which can get pretty uncomfortable. It was a pleasant room with a big window looking out over a big tree that was blowing in the wind. I had my book and a television and an adjustable bed. And I was there from 11:00 am until 4:00 pm. They have to give the blood very slowly. I believe that's so it doesn't overwhelm the kidneys and cause kidney failure. I'm sensing a recurring theme here.

They brought me a BLT, which was disgustingly smothered in mayonnaise, and some potato chips. Thankfully, one of the pink ladies kept coming around bringing me graham crackers and juice. That may be another reason I didn't feel like a million bucks when I was done. I ate a bagel at 7:00 am and the only other food I had until 7:00 pm was graham crackers and chips. Next time I go to the doc or for chemo or anything I'm packing a lunch and bringing my laptop.

The good thing that happened: I had a $10 off coupon for Lowe's so I went by there on my way home and bought some flowers and two hanging baskets.

No comments: