Friday, January 13, 2006

Marked Woman

Okay, so I haven't been exactly gabby lately and I've neglected even the pretence of keeping up the blog. The truth is, I just haven't felt like turning the computer on. If I could do this while I was at work it might be different, but I can't and so this is it.

Here's where I stand. I've started radiation and have had two treatments. Last week I wrote a rant about being marked, but I can't seem to either locate it or muster up the indignation I was feeling at the time. Here's the super watered down version of last weeks appointment.

I went in to be marked on Tuesday the 3rd. This took forever and was sheer torture. Here's how it goes. They position you on the x-ray table with your breasts exposed, both arms above your head, your head turned slightly to the left (left for me, your experiences may be different, taking into account the actual breast to be treated) and told to remain still, don't move, while they take x-rays. Then they have to find the doctor to look at the films and make sure all is right, please remain still. And they leave you there for a really long time, half naked and afraid to move because then they'd have to start all over. After the doctor comes in and looks at you the tech tickles you with a pen to draw lines on you. All this time I'm thinking of "Survivor" where they make people stand in awkward positions for hours to win immunity. I concluded that I'd never win the immunity necklace because I wouldn't even try. By the time she finally let me move (I think I was in that position for 30 minutes or more) both of my hands were completely numb and my left arm was dead. I had to sit up on the table a bit before standing because of the dizziness caused by my blood starting to circulate again. Honestly, I almost cried lying on that table.

Oh, no. I can't finish now, I have to get on the road to Alexandria for this morning's treatment. Tune in next time for the continuing saga (and I'll try to remember to continue it).

No comments: