Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Last of Chemo

The day has come and gone. I've had my last chemotherapy treatment. It's been a week and you might expect I'd be so happy that I'd post right away and have some grand celebration. But things haven't really gone that way. Since it was the last, just for fun, this one hit me pretty good and right away. My stomach started cramping, not even waiting the usual day or two. The steroids made me particularly snippy and cranky so I was snapping at poor Luke and very short tempered about everything. Then it was Thanksgiving and then the "pain killer days" and then back to work and now I can tell my blood count is dropping because I'm soooo tired. Each day I've thought, I need to post about my completion of this phase of things, but each day I think, I just can't.

Today I'm going to try.

The day itself was like any other chemo day. It was a little surreal to look around at the other people having chemo and think I won't belong here anymore. I thought maybe there would be some acknowledgement by the nurses of the event. Of course, I go back to see the onc this Thursday for the 10 day post treatment blood sucking so while he did congratulate me on getting to the end of chemo, he's expecting to see me again soon. The nurse giving me my last treatment was the same who gave me the first. I said to her I thought it was apt that she be the one to do it for that reason. All she said to that was, "Oh, we're celebrating then?" I expected the other nurses might come by and congratulate me, but they didn't. I felt weird about that. I wanted balloons and whistles. I got a stomachache.

Of course, I wanted to bring them cookies or something and I forgot, so I guess I couldn't expect much if I couldn't manage any celebration myself.

Truthfully, I haven't wanted to celebrate because, just how do you celebrate in a way that doesn't involve food? I mean, food doesn't taste right, it's all metallic. Where's the fun in that? Also the poison is still coursing through my veins and I still feel weak and "off."

I'm elated not to have to have any more chemo. But in a muted sort of way. It's weird that the blasted chemo has even taken away my strength to feel joy at it being over.

Eventually I'll be able to jump up and down. For now I wave my arms slowly and lamely around and say, "wahoo." But everything is eventual with cancer. Eventually the tumor grows or shrinks. Slowly as the chemo is administered you eventually start to feel crappy, weak, pain. Eventually your hair falls out. Eventually you start to feel better, gain strength, until the next chemo, start again. Now that's it over, eventually my hair will grow back and food will taste right again (I hope) and my neuropathy will fade (I hope) and I'll get strong again.

My life will never be what it was before this happened, but maybe it will be as good. I will have paid a year (by the time radiation treatments are finished) to buy some life (though I can't know how much I've bought) with family and friends. Eventually I'll feel like celebrating.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi babe-
I know how hard you are trying. I applaud you and tell everyone I know. If there was a way I could take away the shit, I hope you know I would, in a second. Just keep waving those arms, and I will YELL WOOHOO as loud as you want and as often as you want. I understand about the party expectations, as you know, when it's my b-day. the tattoo shows up on my forehead "it's my birthday- where's my present".
Know I love you...if there's anything....
Clint

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dawn,
Don't push yourself!! You have been awesome thru all this. I don't think I could do it.
Take care of yourself!!
Raye

I will yell for you "It's finished!!!!"

Dawn said...

And here I thought I couldn't celebrate. I may not have the strength myself, but my friends will help me by proxy! Thanks all for your WAHOOs!
love,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Dearest Dawn,
I hope that we can all celebrate with and for you. I would like to stand on the highest mountain and yell with you. You are in my thoughts constantly. When I think that life sucks for me, I get out of the pity pool by telling myself that if you can fight this fight so strongly, then certainly I can fight to survive my problems. I don't know how to say this to make any sense, but here goes: I thank you for, as you said, "paying the price" because I am not ready for you to not be here.
I love you.