Tuesday, February 07, 2006

13 . . .

My computer is tired and has been taken to the computer doc so I've been unable to log on. I'm at work now, unable to work, because our systems are down, but our internet is up (go figure). I thought I'd use the "free" time to stop by and jot down an entry.

Everything is going well. I'm still driving myself to radiation treatments. Going in the morning was the right idea because I'm not too tired to drive myself. Just 2 1/2 weeks left to go.

I met a woman the other day at the cancer treatment center. She walked right up to me (I was sitting in the waiting room) and put her hand on my head. She squealed, "You've got hair! Oh, I can't wait until I have hair and don't have to wear this wig. All I have is fuzz!"

I don't have much hair, but I stopped wearing the hats. It's just gotten too hot. Then, last Friday, I got a haircut (because I had a lot of that baby fly-away hair) and had it colored so I'm not salt and pepper anymore. I'll have Luke post a picture.

Now some business. There is this 5K run/race that raises money for breast cancer research put on by an organization called The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. Anyway, they have these events all over the country. There is one coming up March 18 in Lafayette, La and I'm playing with the idea of trying to get as many people as I can (I really don't know that many people, but still) to meet me there and do the thing. I certainly can't do the 5K (and honestly, neither could most of my friends or family), but they have a one mile walk as well and that we could do. The entry fee is how they raise money and that's $20.

Here're some problems I've thought of (my mind is so very good at coming up with reasons why not to do things): The thing is in the morning, and most of us live about 2 to 2 1/2 hours away so it would probably require an overnight stay. That could actually be fun, but I'm totally unfamiliar with Lafayette, so how would I entertain everyone? And what would we do afterward? It only lasts a couple hours and, again, I would feel responsible to entertain everyone. It's about 5 1/2 weeks from now and I don't know if that's too soon for people to make plans. So, you see, I'm very unsure of the whole thing.

What I'm doing right now is feeling people out. I've got two people who said they'd like to do it. If anyone is still reading this blog, please email me or make a comment on the blog and let me know if you would go for it. There's another event in September in Shreveport, but that's a whole heck of a lot farther for everyone, but me.

And one other thing, Happy Birthday, yesterday, to Susan. You'll always be older than me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can do it. Cha-Cha and I almost did a walk in Chalmette. It was an all night thing, but I had to have my hysterectomy ... so there went that idea.

Love,
Vicki

Mary said...

I wish I could join you on this. It would be a great way for us to meet.

Sorry I haven't gotten my email out to you. I am still doing a catch up thing around here plus dealing with having all my upper teeth extracted, and trying to make some money again too. But I certainly have not forgotten about you and keep sending good thoughts your way to get through the radiation with minimum problems.

Hugzzzz and smiles,
Mary